PDA

View Full Version : Quartus 12 crashes on gentoo

ese002
June 15th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Has anyone managed to Quartus II 12.0 running on Gentoo? I can get the bare Quartus (web edition) installed but as soon as I launch I get:

*** Fatal Error: Illegal Instruction
Module: quartus
Stack Trace:
0x439d: safer_scalable_free + 0x260 (tbbmalloc.so.2)
0x91bb: __TBB_internal_free + 0x29 (tbbmalloc.so.2)
0xcf3: free + 0x1d (tbbmalloc_proxy.so.2)
0xaeb: mem_native_delete(void*) + 0x1b (ccl_mem_native)

If try to install support for Arria II, the installer crashes in a similar manner. I installed Quartus 11.0 a year ago and never had these kinds of problems. I guess I should not have nuked the old installation before downloading the new.

ese002
June 15th, 2012, 11:47 PM
OK, I've managed to get it to start. I had to install dev-cpp/tbb and remove libtbbmalloc* from altera/12.0/quartus/linux.

But I still need to get device support and Modelsim installed. Can I install these in a separate step from Quartus itself? As previously mentioned, the installer crashes before installing anything being Quartus proper.

dwh@ovro.caltech.edu
June 16th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Perhaps install under Centos 6.2 and then copy the installation to Gentoo?

Cheers,
Dave

ese002
June 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM
It turns out that tbbmalloc is the problem for the install too. After Quartus installs, the installer runs quartus to install the device support. That's when Quartus crashes.

What I did was watch the files as they were installed. when tbbmalloc* appeared in quartus/linux, I immediately moved them to the side.

With that kludge, I was able to get through the entire installation. There must be a more elegant solution but this way does work. If there was a single file that was the source of only tbbmalloc*, I could just remove it before starting the installer but I don't know what that file would be (if there even is such a file).