Thread: Programming Protocol and Format Specs

Default Programming Protocol and Format Specs

Are there available specifications for the entire process of programming an FPGA [protocols/file formats... not programming using an existing utility] (in my case a Cyclone IV)?

Is the file format really an issue, or is it just a placeholder that a programmer converts to JTAG commands (IEEE 1149.1?)?

I'm currently working on writing up my own HDL (just for fun and learning [and I've got some other plans for it as well]), but I have no idea what kind of output to produce, as well as how to write the output to the FPGA.

Also, I plan on making it cross-platform... however the initial target platform is FreeBSD (so anything Quartus related is irrelevant here, or any tools for that matter... I do realize I am reinventing the wheel).

In a perfect world I'll finish writing up some small tools to run from command line. One to compile my language to a binary file, and another to transmit the data to the FPGA.

To quickly evaluate how I probably stand on things, assume I'm a close-minded UNIX guy who is fighting the change to massive IDEs and GUIs.

-Brandon

Default Re: Programming Protocol and Format Specs

Are there available specifications for the entire process of programming an FPGA [protocols/file formats... not programming using an existing utility] (in my case a Cyclone IV)?
    I think there aren't any specs. However, I'm not sure!

Default Re: Programming Protocol and Format Specs

Gazmodo,
    the configuration bitstream format is not documented anywhere.
    Best forget about that part.

In order to upload the configuration bitstream into the FPGA,/PROM, Quartus can convert it into a JAM/STAPL format, which is a standard.
    Altera even made available source code for a JAM/STAPL player.