Thread: Modelsim 10.0c and modelsim.ini

Default Modelsim 10.0c and modelsim.ini

Getting the following error when trying to open modelsim 10.0c

# ** Error: (vish-7) Failed to open ini file "c:\altera\11.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini" in read mode.

It is looking at an installation for version 6.6 which no longer exists.

The version of modelsim.ini I want exists at

c:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase

So from 11.0 to 11.1.

Any ideas?

I built the sopcinfo file with the options pointing to the 11.1 modelsim directory... so that's not the issue.

Run configurations in 11.1 EDS also points to C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem

As I am getting the same error when trying to run simulations from eclipse.

Default Re: Modelsim 10.0c and modelsim.ini

I have several versions of Modelsim installed on the same machine, however, you need to be careful about your environment setup.

Type 'where' at the Modelsim prompt and post the output.

Type 'parray env', and then copy-and-paste its output. Edit it to remove most of your personal setup, but keep any variables involving MODELSIM and MGC (Mentor Graphics Corp). I'll see if I can spot the problem.

Does your project folder have a modelsim.ini or .mpc file?

Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dwh@ovro.caltech.edu View Post
    I have several versions of Modelsim installed on the same machine, however, you need to be careful about your environment setup.

Type 'where' at the Modelsim prompt and post the output.

Type 'parray env', and then copy-and-paste its output. Edit it to remove most of your personal setup, but keep any variables involving MODELSIM and MGC (Mentor Graphics Corp). I'll see if I can spot the problem.

Does your project folder have a modelsim.ini or .mpc file?

Cheers,
    Dave

Are there any app notes for managing multiple environments?

I got rid of some of the problem, at least upon opening modelsim, however there is still the same issue when I run modelsim from eclipse and then enter the 's' macro (setup_sim.do)

It compiles a load of files and then runs into.

# vsim +nowarnTFMPC -L lpm_ver -L sgate_ver -L altera_mf_ver -L altgxb_ver -L stratixiigx_hssi_ver -L stratixgx_ver -L stratixgx_gxb_ver -L stratixiigx -L altera_ver -L stratixiii_ver -L stratixii_ver -L cycloneii_ver -L cycloneiii_ver -L stratixiv_hssi_ver -L arriaii_ver -L arriaii_pcie_hip_ver -L arriaii_hssi_ver -L stratixiv_ver -L stratixiv_pcie_hip_ver -L cycloneiv_pcie_hip_ver -L cycloneiv_hssi_ver -L hardcopyiv_pcie_hip_ver -L hardcopyiv_hssi_ver -L stratixv_ver -L stratixv_hssi_ver -L stratixv_pcie_hip_ver -L altera_lnsim_ver -t ps test_bench
    # ** Error: (vsim-7) Failed to open ini file "c:\altera\11.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini" in read mode.
    # Invalid argument. (errno = EINVAL)
    # ** Error: (vsim-7) Failed to open ini file "c:\altera\11.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini" in read mode.
    # Invalid argument. (errno = EINVAL)

The modelsim.ini file in my project folder is attached as a .txt file (cannot load .ini for some reason)

Thank you very much for your time.

Rob.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Output of where is

# Current directory is: C:\altera\examples\CodecMaster\Sim\simple_memory_m aster_test_sim
    # Project is: C:/altera/examples/CodecMaster/Sim/simple_memory_master_test_sim/simple_memory_master_test_sim.mpf
    #

Output of parray env is

# env(ITCL_LIBRARY) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/itcl3.2
    # env(ITK_LIBRARY) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/itk3.2
    # env(MODELSIM) = C:/altera/examples/CodecMaster/Sim/simple_memory_master_test_sim/simple_memory_master_test_sim.mpf
    # env(MODEL_TECH) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem
    # env(MODEL_TECH_TCL) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../tcl
    # env(PATH) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem;;C:/altera/11.1/nios2eds\bin;C:/altera/11.1/nios2eds\sdk2\bin;C:/altera/11.1/nios2eds\bin\nios2-gnutools\H-i686-pc-cygwin\bin;C:/altera/11.1/nios2eds/bin/cygpath;C:/altera/11.1/quartus/bin;C:/altera/11.1/quartus/sopc_builder/model/lib;c:\altera\11.1\quartus\bin\;C:\Windows\system3 2;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\S ystem32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\Program Files\Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\Win64\Bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\bin;C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin;C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Common\DiffMerge\;C:\altera\11.1\ modelsim_ase\win32aloem;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin;c:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32a loem
    # env(QTEST_LICENSE_FILE) = C:\altera\11.0\4240_BeMicro_any_ON_lic.dat
    # env(QUARTUS_BINDIR) = c:/altera/11.1/quartus/bin/
    # env(QUARTUS_ROOTDIR) = C:/altera/11.1/quartus
    # env(SHELL) = /bin/sh
    # env(SOPC_KIT_NIOS2) = C:/altera/11.1/nios2eds
    # env(TCL_LIBRARY) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../tcl/tcl8.4
    # env(TK_LIBRARY) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../tcl/tk8.4
    # env(VSIM_LIBRARY) = C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../tcl/vsim

Are there any app notes for managing multiple environments?
    One of the appendices in the Modelsim reference manual has details.

It compiles a load of files and then runs into.

Ok, so look in the modelsim.ini you posted:

[Library]
    others = c:\altera\11.0\modelsim_ase\win32aloem/../modelsim.ini
    Its telling Modelsim to use the old modelsim.ini file.

Modelsim tracks libraries using either modelsim.ini or the .mpf file. Since your parray indicates

# env(MODELSIM) = C:/altera/examples/CodecMaster/Sim/simple_memory_master_test_sim/simple_memory_master_test_sim.mpf
    Then that file should be responsible for tracking libraries. Open it and see if it is also pointing to the old modelsim.ini file.

What probably happened is you updated your tools, but had a project with an old modelsim.ini file in it.

Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks. That's improved things. I think I was getting myself confused with the modelsim.ini file in the project and the one in the C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase project.

I see now...

Thanks again....

Thanks. That's improved things.
    Great!

I think I was getting myself confused with the modelsim.ini file in the project and the one in the C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase project.
    The modelsim.ini in C:\altera\11.1\modelsim_ase should be considered the 'master' (and read-only) copy of modelsim.ini. If you look in it, you'll see it has the library mappings for the Altera libraries.

When you create a new library, eg., vlib work, vmap work [pwd]/work, the master modelsim.ini is copied to your local folder (since the master is read-only) and that file contains a link back to the master (via an entry under [Library], or perhaps its [Others] I forget). The path to the work library is then added to this copy of modelsim.ini under the [Library] field. The .mpf file contains pretty much the same info.

Cheers,
    Dave