Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: help for audio codec using VHDL

Default Re: help for audio codec using VHDL

first thank you for your replies.

i tried both a ported version and the original verilog i2c controller (as your audio_codec_controller requests ans i2c_controller component).

during lunch break i made a new project and i was not able to reproduce "varying static". but static is still present when sw1&9 are up (adc dac loopback), as moou pointed out, with or without input signal on line in - i've tried different i/o audio sources and the problem persists.

initialization works fine as expected (5 on hex0) and sine/square wave generation works well too.

maybe i'm missing some macroscopic point. anyways thank you for your help.
    best regards
    cb

Quote Originally Posted by carlo.bono View Post
    first thank you for your replies.

i tried both a ported version and the original verilog i2c controller (as your audio_codec_controller requests ans i2c_controller component).

during lunch break i made a new project and i was not able to reproduce "varying static". but static is still present when sw1&9 are up (adc dac loopback), as moou pointed out, with or without input signal on line in - i've tried different i/o audio sources and the problem persists.

initialization works fine as expected (5 on hex0) and sine/square wave generation works well too.

maybe i'm missing some macroscopic point. anyways thank you for your help.
    best regards
    cb
    Hey cb,

Two things I would recommend are:

1. Check the initialization commands to the registers for the audio codec. Make sure they are correct.
    2. A very useful check would be to use SignalTap (or an external logic analyzer) and make sure the timing on the i2c bus lines and the left-channel/right-channel lines are correct. In my original design, I had a the dreaded "off by one clock cycle" bug.

Again, I can only finish debugging the audio codec in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, do 1. and 2. above and repost if you find the bug.

Bart

Hi,

I found this topic and it helped me alot. I spent a lot of hours in laboratory and have some problems with i2c.

What does it mean to "resythesize" verilog file? Does it mean to write it from scratch to vhdl file bo looking on verilog code? Or maybe there is some function in Quartus which does such thing (I can't find it in Quartus 9, I'm getting 10.1 now).

Maybe you could please post your project or implementation of i2c_controller for DE2? By looking on it I will try to figure out why my project doesn't work.

Best regards,

Mon

Quote Originally Posted by monmanmon View Post
    Hi,

I found this topic and it helped me alot. I spent a lot of hours in laboratory and have some problems with i2c.

What does it mean to "resythesize" verilog file? Does it mean to write it from scratch to vhdl file bo looking on verilog code? Or maybe there is some function in Quartus which does such thing (I can't find it in Quartus 9, I'm getting 10.1 now).
    No synthesis does not mean mapping verilog to VHDL. Synthesis means to obtain a "hardware design" from your verilog or VHDL specification. This hardware design can be of many forms: register-transfer level (RTL), state-machine or even at the "technology-map" level.

Ultimately, synthesis results in a file that can be placed and routed on your FPGA. For more information, read:

www.altera.com/literature/manual/intro_to_quartus2.pdf

Maybe you could please post your project or implementation of i2c_controller for DE2? By looking on it I will try to figure out why my project doesn't work.
    The design for the DE1 and DE2 should be the same because both boards use the same audio codec. However, correctly map the pin assignments from my project for the DE1 to the DE2.

Good luck.

Bart

Thank you for your reply.

I decided to rewrite i2c_controller.v to i2c_controller.vhd by my own hands.
    It works fine, just had to change name of some ports etc.

Thank you for posting your code in tihis topic, it was very helpfull.

Best Regards,

Mon
    Last edited by monmanmon; January 11th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

I'll make you know.
    Best regards
    cb

Thank you for your reply.

I decided to rewrite i2c_controller.v to i2c_controller.vhd by my own hands.
    It works fine, just had to change name of some ports etc.
    monmanmon, can u pls post/send me the i2c_controller that u have done? I really need it.

thank you..

hello everyone. there is something that i am confuse about. how can i call the data from wm8731 so that i can process it into my own processing block before i can send it back to the chip ?

Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    The code should be published at the Altera Wiki. It's much more instructive than the respective Terasic demonstration projects.
    Finally, I have the time this year to publish the stuff we develop. Anyway, Altera wiki has been updated. Direct link to our digital systems website.

I will be making changes to the Altera Wiki and Digital Systems Website once/week (approximately Friday, around 5:00 pm CST) with new reference designs and bug fixes.

Thanks.

Bart

First thank you for sharing this. It is clear and easy to read. But even with the most updated version I still have static when trying to playback the input signal. Do you not have this issue when running it? And if not why would my setup differ? I am using a DE1 with the 2C20F484C7 chip. Thank you