Thread: "Could not create the java virtual machine" error

Default "Could not create the java virtual machine" error

I have got the error "Could not create the Java virtual machine." when creating DDR SDRAM by MegaWizard plug-in manager ( megafunction ). I am using Quartus 8.0, JRE 1.6, window vista home basic SP1. I have tried to install SP1 ( 8.0 ) as well as reinstall, but it doesn't work. Even though restoring my HDD from a previous partition image doesn't fix it, too.

Anyone knows how to handle this ? thanks

Default Re: "Could not create the java virtual machine" error

after several hours, I managed to fix this. It turns out to be a conflict with my kaspersky internet security. After uninstalling Kaspersky, The error appear no more .

I have a similar error, but I can't seem to find the root cause.

My environment:
    Dell Latitude D630
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, T7700
    2GB Ram
    Windows XP SP3

My Quartus II Version: 9.0, Service pack 1

I receive the error "Could not create the java virtual machine" as reported by an alert box titled "Java Virtual Machine Launcher". The error arises whenever I launch the MegaWizard plug in manager (either from the QuartusII GUI or launched directly from the quartus/bin directory) and try to create an instance of IP core from either the DSP library or Communications library. The moment I choose the IP, name the file (in the path dialog box) and hit ok, to subsequently launch the GUI for that particular IP core, I receive the error. After I click "ok", the Megawizard exits.

Steps I've tried to fix this:
    - Remove older versions of Quartus II
    - Remove and re-install Quartus II SP1 (done about 4x already)
    - Remove and re-install the Java run time environment. I tested my java setup and confirmed it was installed correctly via the web test
    - Remove all QuartusII software and dig into the system registry, and remove all registry keys associated with Altera, then re-install QII9.0

None of these steps resolved the issue.

To try to isolate the cause of the problem, I noticed within the quartus\bin directory, there's a \jre directory. I renamed it to "jre_old", then tried to relaunch the MegaWizard plug in manager and repeat my steps again, I got a different set of errors, suggesting that the Megawizard is trying to invoke Java from its own local \bin directory, instead of the one I refreshed in my "c:\program files\java\jre6" directory. After doing the obvious thing by copying the jre6 directory to the \bin directory, renaming it to \jre6, I tried to launch again, with the same previous result "Could not create the java virtual machine".

The problem seems to be how the MegaWizard plug in manager is accessing the java run time environment.

I tried a workaround:
    I navigated to the directory -

C:\altera\90\quartus\common\ip\altera\common\ip_to olbench\v1.3.0\bin

and launched "launcher.jar"

I was able to open a small GUI, navigate to the directory where the nco.jar file was, and eventually load the NCO configuration GUI as I normally would. However, after configuring my IP, I when I tried to generate, I received an error stating that a valid Quartus installation could not be found.

If anyone can provide any wisdom on this issue, please help! Thanks!

I fixed the problem. It appears to be a bad interaction with other software. Here's what I did:

I installed Registry Mechanic (thanks to a suggestion by Altera FAE Craig Holmberg) and went through the list of running services. I went through and disabled every single service that would not create a BSOD while also running Quartus in the background. My procedure was to
    enable services one at a time, and try to load the NCO megafunction GUI each time until the error went away. The culprit:

Pharos Systems ComTaskManager
    Pharos Systems ComTaskMaster - Pharos Systems International - C:\PROGRA~1\PHAROS~1\Core\CTskMstr.exe

I disabled that service, and uninstalled the software associated with it. My MegaWizard is up and running like it should now.

I'm guessing that there are many other programs out there that do not play well with Quartus II. What would be nice would be if Altera published a list of software that has known issues interacting with their tools. Kasperksy and Pharos ComTaskManager are definitely two of them.

Can anyone provide insight as to WHY this happens? Perhaps I can avoid this much loss in productivity in the future armed with this information!

The message error “Could not create the Java Virtual Machine” sometimes shows up when the version of JRE is not compatible with the software. Also, just like you, there have been a lot of users who experienced the same problem due to the Kaspersky anti-virus. So, it is perhaps really best to turn it off or uninstall it completely.

This is the problem of software designers
    RAM and ROM are normal
    But DDR2 is unusually

ALTERA wants to monopolize your computer to use other trade marks FPGA.
    Why simple IP CORE producer, computer anti-poison conflict?
    Last edited by keyway; October 24th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.