Thread: Books for learning Verilog and SystemVerilog

Default Books for learning Verilog and SystemVerilog

Does anyone know of some good books on Verilog and/or SystemVerilog? I have just finished my first CPLD design by using the online training for Quartus, Verilog and SystemVerilog. Its working but now I would like to dig much deeper into the techniques. I typically learn best from books in a self-taught method.

Books like this are fairly expensive and I don't want to waste resources on junk or somethign that does not apply. As I search the web for these books it is clear that there are different aspects of these languages and different types of usage, such as for modeling, synthesizing, and simulating. Also there are different target technologies like ASIC, FPGA/CPLD. I am looking for CPLD (FPGA should be about the same) and specifically the synthesis and simulation. Writing test benches is also a vital topic. So if you have some recommendations I would really appreciate it.

Default Re: Books for learning Verilog and SystemVerilog

I'm reading a Kindle version of a book by Janick Bergeron called "Writing Testbenches Using SystemVerilog". I haven't gone too far through but it seems to be a decent book. When I purchased it there were not many books on the subject with a good rating so that's why I went with it.

For synthesis this one was pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Verilog-HDL-Sy...865289&sr=1-13

In general I would just use the books as a guide and just google search for examples. There are plenty of styles and techniques out there so you may not want to stick to whatever the author uses.

Default Re: Books for learning Verilog and SystemVerilog

I highly recommend FPGA-Simulation- A Complete-Step-Step Guide. This will teach you the most productive part of SystemVerilog you need for doing FPGAs.