Thread: TimeQuest Timing Analyzer Wizard

Post TimeQuest Timing Analyzer Wizard

Hi, I wonder if the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer Wizard when I have to fill tco, th, tsu and tpd, if these times are estimates only, or if it has to be based on something. Well I think these times should be calculated.

Thanks

Default Re: TimeQuest Timing Analyzer Wizard

I thought timequest needs statements for that and the classic timing tool let us enter those in the menu.

We;; I wish it was all estimates but they are not. tCO is that of external input device, tSU & tH are those of external output device. Adding to them a true or estimated effect of board delays on both clk and data and that is when it gets nasty.
    To make it more complicated you can also use above parameters in reverse sense i.e. tCO of fpga, tSU, tH of FPGA but it all ends up with same figures set input delay and set output delay.
    but frankly it is sort of area that never gets easy...

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    I thought timequest needs statements for that and the classic timing tool let us enter those in the menu.

We;; I wish it was all estimates but they are not. tCO is that of external input device, tSU & tH are those of external output device. Adding to them a true or estimated effect of board delays on both clk and data and that is when it gets nasty.
    To make it more complicated you can also use above parameters in reverse sense i.e. tCO of fpga, tSU, tH of FPGA but it all ends up with same figures set input delay and set output delay.
    but frankly it is sort of area that never gets easy...

Ok, I get it. But then what do I rely, to put in consistent values ​​TimeQuest Analyzer Wizard? (values ​​tsu, tco, tpd)

Thaks, again.

Any digital device has tSU,tH at its input registers & tCO at its output registers and are given in its data sheet. FPGA is no different but don't have them in data sheet because you can program them within some range.

In the classic timing analyser you enter them for fpga such that it matches the external device timing. In TimeQuest you enter the external device's timings directly in set_input_delay and set_output_delay as per given equations.

If you are designing some modules inside FPGA without being connected to outside(yet) then you don't need to enter these.

So in short it is your external devices that matter here.