Thread: *** Read Me ***

Default *** Read Me ***

Post only questions about VHDL coding in here. Also if you are working on school projects you should not ask others to do you course work for you (your professor may be watching...)
    Last edited by BadOmen; November 29th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: *** Read Me ***

This should be an easy thing to do. How do you create a bdf symbol from a vhdl file. When I use the instructions stated in Altera's handbook by opening the vhdl file, clicking on file>create/update, all entires on the submenu are greyed out (not selectable). This is where you are suppose to select "create symbol from current file". What is up with this?

I just tried and I saw the same thing until I saved the .vhd file and had it added to the project, then the symbol generator option was not greyed out.

By the way, I don't recommend posting to this thread, it's meant to remind people of the rules. Instead create new threads so that people will notice it.

So if I place the vhdl file in the project file list, then it will allow me to create the symbol.

For new posting threads, just not sure under what tabs you would do that. I presume under FORUM and New Posts? I picked this one because it was listed as VHDL issues.

I am still not sure about the different communities. Do I have to sign up for a certain ones?

You should have access to all the various subforums in here. I mean you should create new threads here if you have VHDL questions: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

This thread is typically read by the users the first time they come into the VHDL subforum then they'll never read it again so if you post in this one nobody will probably respond to you (I only knew about it since I get email notifications to my own threads).

Accidently, I saw this thread in bold font )
    Why not just simply add some kind of menu : 1. search and 2. start new thread 3. related resource
    and close this thread for posting at all.

It's bold because it's a sticky thread (i.e. I want people to read it first then know what this subforum is for). This forum is off the shelf so the behavior is what it is. Once I find the lock button I'll lock this thread down to prevent others from responding to it.