Thread: Quartus II on Windows XP Professional 32-bit ?

Question Quartus II on Windows XP Professional 32-bit ?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to install Quartus II (Web/Subscribed edition) on Windows XP Professional 32-bit (sp3) ? from Altera web ( Home > Support > Downloads > OS Support ) I find that all Windows XP versions are supported but this one.

: Altera software supports Windows XP SP2 (32 & 64 bit) and Windows XP Pro (64 bit) only.

if it is possible, what is the technical reason ?

So far, I didn't try to install Quartus 11.1 sp2 web edition I've downloaded 'till I get a confirmation from your part.

if not, which Quartus versions are supported by Windows XP Professional 32-bit ? even older ones.

Thanks.

Default Re: Quartus II on Windows XP Professional 32-bit ?

Hi Edgaz, while we only support certain flavours of Windows and Linux (eg fully test Quartus and guarantee compatibility), there's no reason why QII shouldn't run on SP3. So I'd suggest going ahead and using it. In the unlikely case you run into any OS-related trouble, feel free to file a service request at altera.com.

Cheers, Adrian

Default Re: Quartus II on Windows XP Professional 32-bit ?

I had the same issue working on Windows XP professional SP3 32bit. Quartus II installed properly and I did not encounter any limitation on the quartus software. However if Modelsim-Altera installed properly, I have never been able to launch a simulation, the simulator crashes with code 211 and no additional information in the dialog box... I am still surprised that the soft do not check its own compatibility with the operating system during the installation; a simple warning could save many hours to search for the problem...
    Anyway, I am now using quartus v13 and modelsim-altera v10 on windows 7 professional 64bit and everything works properly, even if the Altera OS compatibility webpage says: (2) 32 bit support only...