Thread: How to create bootable VxWorks SD-Card?

Default How to create bootable VxWorks SD-Card?

Hey!

I'm very new in this topic and i read a lot to come into it. But i still have some problems.
    I have a Arrow SoCkit Cyclone V Board and the goal is, to get a working VxWorks System on it.

I already created a bootloader, that works and i can execute the standard u-boot commands. Now i tried to get the Bootrom of VxWorks started, as I read in a few documentaries and forum posts. But it didn't work yet. I tried to copy the bootrom to a certain adress or to a seperate FAT partition (with a modified bootloader). But it didn't start.

Did I forget something or understand something wrong?
    I hope you can help me.

Regards
    Kille

Default Re: How to create bootable VxWorks SD-Card?

Moving to the new "Other Operating Systems" forum. This is where all non-Linux OS related questions will go moving forward.

Please visit this page and get the zip file under "VxWorks Instructions for SoC EDS 13.1":

https://www.altera.com/download/soc-eds/rtos-tools.jsp

That document will walk you through how to boot VxWorks via SD card or QSPI using a modified preloader. The instructions are written for the Altera dev board but they may work for the Arrow board as well, I have not tried that.

The instructions contain pre-built preloaders that are known to work with the Altera dev board and SD card images that should work as well.

Instructions for 14.0 are almost ready to be published -- if you are using 14.0 today let me know and I may be able to get you a preview of those instructions.

I haven't used VxWorks bootrom but I have used u-boot to boot vxWorks directly. The default Altera soc u-boot does not include elf file support so you have to enable this and recompile u-boot. Once you have done that you can then boot the vxWorks compiled elf image using the bootvx command.

Also, it's important to know that the preloader requires the next stage bootloader to have a small header on it. The VxWorks bootrom is not built with this header, so you have to use mkimage to add the header to the bootrom.

The instructions I mentioned show you how to add the header to a VxWorks bootrom binary.

@Bevo
    I knew this Document, but the Images/ Files unforthantly don't work for the Arrow Board. Nevertheless I followed the Instructions. I builded my own Preloader with BSP-Editor and made my own SD-Card with FAT-Partition. But the Problem is like above.

I tried to use u-boot commands to start the bootrom.bin manually. I've loaded it so several adresses in cache and tried to execute them with bootm to this adress. The error is: "Wrong Image Type for bootm command - ERROR: can't get kernel image!"
    Thats why I tried to find a way to add the bootvx command as @ngoodger told. But I can't find out how to do that.

@ngoodger How you added the command. I added "#define CONFIG_CMD_ELF" to "config_cmd_default.h" and recompiled my whole preloader, but the command didn't appear. Can you give me some further advices?