Thread: What is the lowest power FPGA board/card available in the market?

Default What is the lowest power FPGA board/card available in the market?

Hello,
    I'm working on a project in which an FPGA should be used in a mobile phone, so the FPGA has to draw as few power as possible. so i have to find a very low power FPGA to work on it.
    What is actually the most low power FPGA known?

Thanks and best regards

Default Re: What is the lowest power FPGA board/card available in the market?

IIRC low power is addressed best by FLASH based FPGAs - thus the IGLOO came to my mind first (to blame myself not being ALTERA Chips...)
    They, microsemi, advertised their IGLOO series as "lowest power FPGAs" - I don't now how MAX10 (also being FLASH based) compete in power requirements.

BTW: IGLOO was developed by Actel, which was bought by Microsemi - which is now part of Microchip (what might but does not necessarily must have Impact on device families)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlhermann View Post
    IIRC low power is addressed best by FLASH based FPGAs - thus the IGLOO came to my mind first (to blame myself not being ALTERA Chips...)
    They, microsemi, advertised their IGLOO series as "lowest power FPGAs" - I don't now how MAX10 (also being FLASH based) compete in power requirements.

BTW: IGLOO was developed by Actel, which was bought by Microsemi - which is now part of Microchip (what might but does not necessarily must have Impact on device families)
    All true about the IGLOO series, very low power, in the microwatts in standby mode. More if active, of course.

However, Microchip has not yet bought MicroSemi; it is still a stand-alone corporation. A deal is in progress, but it ain't done yet.
    Last edited by ak6dn; May 16th, 2018 at 08:43 PM.

dear Carlhermann,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

A more Specific Q: do you have an idea about the lowest power FPGA Board that can run an OpenCL kernel? would it be an Altera board in this case ?