Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combine the quartus projects

Exclamation combine the quartus projects

Hi, are new for this forum, I need a help:
    I have a DE1 card, I created a project to implement the fft through Mega Wizard Plug-In, I did the same thing to do a fir filter. I want to know how can I link the two projects, so that the output of the fft become the inputs of the fir filter.
    Thank you

Default Re: combine the quartus projects

Quote Originally Posted by alexMO View Post
    Hi, are new for this forum, I need a help:
    I have a DE1 card, I created a project to implement the fft through Mega Wizard Plug-In, I did the same thing to do a fir filter. I want to know how can I link the two projects, so that the output of the fft become the inputs of the fir filter.
    Thank you
    Hi,

why did you create two different projects ? Only for testing ?

What kind of design description are you using ? Verilog, VHDL ???

Kind regards

GPK

Hi pletz,
    I created two projects separately to make them test. The language that I use is the vhdl.
    Thank you for your answer

Hi pletz,
    I created two projects separately to make them test. The language that I use is the vhdl.
    Thank you for your answer
    Hi,

write a toplevel in VHDL with the the two blocks as instances.

Kind regards

GPK

Quote Originally Posted by pletz View Post
    Hi,

write a toplevel in VHDL with the the two blocks as instances.

Kind regards

GPK
    Hi
    How do I call two blocks as instances?
    In vhdl not had never done something similar, I thought there was an automatic procedure

Hi
    How do I call two blocks as instances?
    In vhdl not had never done something similar, I thought there was an automatic procedure
    Hi,

no you have to write a toplevel on your own. Unfortunately I'm using Verilog and I have not so much expierence with VHDL.

Kind regards

GPK

Thank you for your time

hmm... here my situation is that 2 engineers were designing a project. i was makiing internal part (processing etc,) and my co worker was doing interfacing with surrounding chips. now we have our own projects own pin assignments (of cource they are in seperate banks.) if ill make my procet's symbol and he'l make he's; yes we may put these two symbols side by syde and connect them but which one will be the top level project? and how about 200 pins on each side? these pins now remain inside
    in these projects... if we will get these pins on top level this creates hundreds of other problems. any solutions... ? im sure there is some way, people all around the world make huge projects each of them is devided across tens of engineers, there must be some way they link their work.

I see two solutions: you can either merge the two top level files manually, picking up the contents from both projects, or make a new top level file that contains all the pins, instantiate the two top level files you have now, and connect the pins to the instantiated components.
    Definition of a man-year: 730 people trying to finish the project before lunch

yes i have came to that second way too. one problem was that when i change my project, it changes the project's symbol; and all the pin sequence aswell(inside the symbol). which means i will have to readjust all the pin connections. so i used "generate pins for symbol ports" button and it resolved the problem. assigned pin assignments from both projects files, worked fine. looks like this is the most comfortable way. short and smart. one big problem that remains, is that i have to go into add/remove files in quartus, and add all the coworkers project files in there manually, imagine 15modules of bsd,bsf,v,tdf files. that takes time.. but fortunetly you do it once and thats all.
    one more thing, there is a big possibility that you and your co workers named their pins exactly same way you did. like clock27Mhz or something. that will lead to bigger problem when merging assignments from all projects. simply because one of the same names will overwrite another on top of it. and the pin location of one of the ports, will be erased in pin planner. im guessing quartus will generate an error that names are same for more than one ports, but i found more better solution. there is a free software called Kdiff3 .it is a text comparator soft. in it,there are 2 windows side by side. you open your assignments file in one window, co workers assignments file in a neighboring window; and Kdiff3 automatically compares two texts, it will light up unlike fields and like fields. that helps to track the similar names and change them. just sharing experience; hope it'l save someone.
    Last edited by ilik; March 19th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.