Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: msgdma stuck in busy state

Default Re: msgdma stuck in busy state

Quote Originally Posted by tom_v View Post
    Hello Bob,

Thanks for your post.
    I followed your advice but this didn't solve the problem. You can see my configuration at the picture (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7174gyidt...sgdma.png?dl=0, I need to do it that way because the forum does resize it when I upload it... unreadable...).
    I will keep on trying to get the msgdma to work... I'm open for ideas and hints

Tom
    Interesting, Tom. Your mSGDMA settings are almost identical to mine except that my max transfer size is 4096 bytes, so max burst count is 256. Sorry this didn't work for you.

I'll post back with whatever I learn about the problem I was having. More testing required.

Bob

Hey Bob

I got the Problem...
    It wasn't my Qsys configuration, it was the environment variables in u-boot. The variable fpga2sdram_handoff was set to 0x0, i changed it to 0x00003fff to activate the f2h_sdram bridge. Now it works, or let me say I got other problems
    I will try if I have the same problem with transfer size and burst size like you.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_v View Post
    Hey Bob

I got the Problem...
    It wasn't my Qsys configuration, it was the environment variables in u-boot. The variable fpga2sdram_handoff was set to 0x0, i changed it to 0x00003fff to activate the f2h_sdram bridge. Now it works, or let me say I got other problems
    I will try if I have the same problem with transfer size and burst size like you.
    That's great to hear. Hopefully you don't have any other issues!

I think that the Avalon-MM BFM simulates the IP generated by Qsys, not the hard IP used by the ARM core. It may not be a valid simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Galfonz View Post
    I think that the Avalon-MM BFM simulates the IP generated by Qsys, not the hard IP used by the ARM core. It may not be a valid simulation.
    I've been using the mSGDMA Qsys IP-- not the Arm DMA IP. I haven't run a simulation, but the Arm DMA IP is the Corelink DMA-330-- this is a very different beast.

After consulting with Altera support, the mSGDMA core does have a bug and slightly different operation from the manual. According to them, the SW_RESET bit needs to be set and then cleared BY SOFTWARE to correctly reset, due to some bugs in the FIFO resets. This means that the reset bit doens't automatically return to zero to indicate a reset complete when in certain states. I can post the Altera support reply if anyone is interested. Hopefully the IP core bug and documentation can be synchronized.

Quote Originally Posted by derim View Post
    After consulting with Altera support, the mSGDMA core does have a bug and slightly different operation from the manual. According to them, the SW_RESET bit needs to be set and then cleared BY SOFTWARE to correctly reset, due to some bugs in the FIFO resets. This means that the reset bit doens't automatically return to zero to indicate a reset complete when in certain states. I can post the Altera support reply if anyone is interested. Hopefully the IP core bug and documentation can be synchronized.
    I know it's an year later, but I'd appreciate the Altera support reply.

Me too, actually. The reply was basically that there was a bug. If you read the release notes for Quartus, it sounds like the FIFO reset bug is fixed. I haven't tested it though as I built a workaround in RTL to manage the FIFO bug. The mSGDMA has been working pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by derim View Post
    Me too, actually. The reply was basically that there was a bug. If you read the release notes for Quartus, it sounds like the FIFO reset bug is fixed. I haven't tested it though as I built a workaround in RTL to manage the FIFO bug. The mSGDMA has been working pretty well.
    Thanks. Not sure what is the issue that I'm running into then. When I set the reset bit in the control register, it clears itself automatically, but the resetting bit in the status register never gets deasserted. The whole thing hangs up, stuck in a resetting state.

Quote Originally Posted by skhan View Post
    Thanks. Not sure what is the issue that I'm running into then. When I set the reset bit in the control register, it clears itself automatically, but the resetting bit in the status register never gets deasserted. The whole thing hangs up, stuck in a resetting state.
    I remember having this issue as well, at one point. It depended on what mode the mSGDMA was already running in. If it was in a state that it couldn't reset from (ie certain "park" modes), then resetting was troublesome.