Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first experience with altera (MAX 10). And it didn't go well...

Default Re: My first experience with altera (MAX 10). And it didn't go well...

Hello everybody,

Thank you for this, perhaps there is a solution there. I don't mind adapting a JAM STAPL player source code into my MPU... if the source code is OK (the link seems to be very old stuff, late 90's at first glance). Can I have confidence with compatibility especially MAX10 ?

I'm very reluctant to add additional hardware for some sort of "usb-blaster like" device, so why not ? In fact, I saw some stuff about STAPL but the documentation was so bad that I couldn't really understand what is it and what this involves. C source code is so much better. During my research, I didn't find this software section on the website.

Just for "fun", I took a look at the Xinlinx Spartan 6 (I can not use it because of the packages) and the programming documentation. What a difference ! Everything is clear, well explained, SPI or JTAG, whatever. Time diagrams, definitions, schematics (both master ans slave situations). Xilinx doesn't no seems to consider the slave configuration (MPU programming the FPGA) as something alien as Altera seems to do... Even JTAG programming is perfectly described. Shame on you Altera !

I'll take a look at the JAM player idea. If I could get something usable, I would publish all source code and results on PIC32 implementation. I'm pretty sure it would interest some people.

By the way, I could be perceived as a whinger, but I'm only French. Which could explain a lot.

Jerome.

Once more you're comparing apples and oranges and prove that you don't understand the specific features of MAX 10 family with internal flash configuration memory. It has been already suggested to use a "regular" cyclone FPGA with serial configuration interfaces if you want to configure it by an embedded processor.

Using JTAG interface through JAM STAPL player or a similar JTAG driver is possible, but surely not first choice. I'm out.

I would respond you didn't read (or understand) what I've written :
    The flash feature (that I've perfectly understood) does not interest me and is not the reason I've chosen the MAX10. The flash memory existence is irrelevant with the lack of documentation for programming the device. I can program the flash or the CRAM in a similar way, it doesn't matter. What are these apples and oranges I compare ?

As I wrote twice, I don't use the Cyclone series because of the available packages (and it is much more expensive). Of course, I would choose this kind of chip if a TQFP version is available, do you think I'm this dumb !? You know, people can choose some stuff for reasons that are not what the marketing decided on the first place. And, to be honest, the MAX10 "specific feature" is risible, I don't see any real added value here. The MAX10 is much more specific (and interesting) because of its package related to the logic elements number than this dull flash feature.

All I search for is a powerful enough FPGA with TQFP package. Only Altea (and perhaps Lattice) has something reasonable. I don't care about whistles and bells, only standard programming and reasonable documentation.

Jerome.