Thread: Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design

Default Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design

I get the following error message in Quartus when I compile my code:

Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design, but only 293 IO input pad locations available on the device.

However it works fine when I compile the same VHDL code in VT System FPGA Manager (Vector tool).

I am using Cyclone IV E EP4CE75F23I8L.

Since I am using a Vector board there are a number of IO ports that are set by default in the main HDL file. Do I get this error because Quartus does not know which board I intend to use?

Also, is the error message referring to the IO pads available on the FPGA or on the board?

Default Re: Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design

Quartus doesn't know anything about your board. Check the Pin Planner to make sure your I/O location assignments are set correctly, but it clearly seems like there are too many I/O in your design for the device you are targetting. I don't know what VT System FPGA Manager is (is that a synthesis tool?).

Default Re: Error (169281): There are 469 IO input pads in the design

Quote Originally Posted by sstrell View Post
    Quartus doesn't know anything about your board. Check the Pin Planner to make sure your I/O location assignments are set correctly, but it clearly seems like there are too many I/O in your design for the device you are targetting. I don't know what VT System FPGA Manager is (is that a synthesis tool?).

VT System FPGA Manager is a tool from the company Vector that executes Quartus for compilation of the VHDL code, and uses its board as target. When I do it directly on Quartus it doesn't know anything about my board so I should probably stick to the VT System FPGA Manager but the problem is that the compilation takes forever (over 1.5 hours) and I had to cancel because I couldn't wait for it so long.

However compiled a similar design before, and it only took 20 minutes, don't know why It takes so much time now. It is almost the same design. Just added some input ports.